A dental implant is the widely used dental procedure to replace any missing or decayed teeth. At North Island Dental Arts, we provide our clients with the latest dental technology and complete dental care procedures to deal with a variety of minor or serious dental issues.
In a dental implant procedure, tooth roots are replaced with metal, screw-like posts. Missing or damaged teeth are replaced with artificial teeth that almost look and function like real teeth. The results may vary depending on the condition of the jawbone and the type of implant. Dental implant surgery is considered to be the best alternative to getting bridgework or dentures done.
This is why choosing an experienced dentist that offers dental implant procedures in the Port Washington NY area will help ensure your successful dental implant surgery!
Why Do You Need A Dental Implant Surgery?
Dental implants are usually placed in your jawbone and function as the roots of any missing or damaged teeth. Since the titanium is fused with your jawbone, the implants won’t make noise, slip or cause any bone damage unlike other dental procedures such as bridgework or dentures.
You’re the right candidate to get a dental implant procedure done if:
- You have one or more missing teeth
- Want to improve your speaking ability
- Have a jawbone that has reached full growth
- Have enough bone to secure the implants
- Don’t want to wear dentures
- Have a healthy oral history
- Don’t smoke tobacco
- You’re not suffering from any health conditions that may affect bone healing
- You’re ready to commit several months to the recovery process
Preparing For Dental Implant Surgery
When it comes to the planning process for dental implants, there may be multiple specialists involved in the process.These specialist may include:
- Specialists that treat conditions of the jaw, mouth, and face.
- Specialist that treat the structures that support your bones, teeth, and gums.
- Prosthodontists; a specialist that designs and fits artificial teeth.
- Or sometimes an ear, nose and throat specialist.
Dental implants require one or more surgical procedures, which is why you need to have a thorough evaluation to prepare yourself for the process. These include:
- Complete dental exams. Your dentist may take your dental X-rays and 3D images, and make models of your teeth and jaw.
- Reviews of your medical history. Your doctor will review your medical history. Make sure you tell them about any medications you’re taking and any medical conditions you’re suffering from. Make them aware of any over-the-counter supplements or drugs you may be taking as well. Note: If you have any type of heart condition or orthopedic implants, your dental care provider may prescribe antibiotics to help prevent an infection.
- Treatment plans. Factors taken into account may include how many of your teeth may need replacement, as well as the condition of the neighboring teeth & jawbone.
Your doctor will provide a local anesthetic, sedation or general anesthesia to help minimize any pain. They will also instruct you about what to eat or drink before your surgery.
What Can You Expect From Your Dental Implant Surgery?
Your dentist will need to perform multiple steps to place a dental implant. These steps include:
- Removing damaged or decayed teeth
- Preparing the jawbone
- Placement of the dental implant
- Bone growth and healing
- Abutment placement
- Placement of the artificial tooth
Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late
The entire dental implant surgery can take several months to fix your missing or damaged teeth. Getting your next procedure done by an expert you can trust is essential.
If you need an experienced, reliable dentist that offers Dental implant in Long Island NY, contact North Island Dental Arts today at (516) 616-4800. We don’t just specialize in dental implants! We are also the leading provider of teeth whitening and other dental procedures!